Skim it or Scan it?
Take this quiz now
In each situation below, decide whether you would skim or scan:
1) I would _____ through a table of contents to see what information a book contains.
2) I would _____ through the glossary of a book to look for a certain topic.
3) I would _____ through the headings of a report before I read it to see if the topic interested me.
4) I would _____ through the first paragraph of a book to see if it was about the same character as a previous book.
5) I would _____ to find a phone number in the telephone directory.
6) I would _____ to search for an unanswered question on an exam.
7) I would _____ to find a location on a map
8) I would _____ to find my flight on a schedule at the airport.
9) I would _____ an advert to find out the cost of something.
10) I would _____ to refresh my memory about an article I’d read before.
1: skim, 2: scan, 3: skim, 4: scan, 5: scan, 6: scan, 7: scan, 8: scan, 9: scan, 10: skim